Blue Oyster Art Project Space
The Blue Oyster Arts Trust (BOAT) was founded in Dunedin in 1999 as the governing body of the Blue Oyster Art Project Space that provides a high quality, dynamic program of experimental and innovative contemporary art practice. BOAT is a non-profit and non-commercial organisation that is made up of practicing artists, curators and other creative professionals. The art project space allows a diverse range of artists to work experimentally, free from commercial restraints and irrespective of the stage of their career. We aim to broaden the interest and understanding of contemporary arts by providing a forum for discussion and debate regarding contemporary art issues.
The Blue Oyster Art Project Space exists to encourage and promote innovative contemporary art projects in or from Dunedin.
We aim to broaden interest and understanding of contemporary art and provide a space for experimental, non-commercial art projects.
The Blue Oyster Arts Trust aims to:
1. Support and facilitate contemporary art practice, especially that of experimental, innovative arts practice of all artists regardless of career stage.
2. Be a place for experimental and innovative art projects
3. Represent both national and international contemporary arts
4. Have a programme with a non-profit and non-commercial focus
5. Broaden interest and understanding of the contemporary arts
6. Be a forum for the contemporary arts and culture community
7. Be a prominent and active participant in the Dunedin arts community
8. Promote critical discussion of contemporary culture
9. Be a resource of and for contemporary arts and culture
10. To provide an art environment that represents and involves culturally diverse groups
Director - Jamie Hanton: BA(Hons)
Administrator - Briar Holt: BA(Hons)
Current Blue Oyster Arts Trustees
Tess McLauchlan (Chair)
Past Blue Oyster Directors
Kate Plaisted: 1999 , Steve Carr: 2000 , Byrony Allen: 2001, Peter Wheeler: 2001, Melanie Hogg: 2002 , Robyn Dold: 2003, Ali Bramwell: 2004-2006 , Charlotte Dick: 2006 - 2007, Benjamin Smith: 2007, Michelle Armistead: 2007-2008, Jaenine Parkinson: 2009-2010.
Blue Oyster Arts Trust Alumni
Steve Carr: (founding member) 1999 - 2001 , Douglas Rex Kelaher: (founding member) 1999 - 2004, Kate Plaisted: (founding member) 1999 - 2000, Wallace Chapman: (founding member) 1999 - 2001, Emily Barr: (founding member) 1999 - 2001, Teresa Andrew: 2001 - 2004, Ali Bramwell: 2001 - 2004, Cathy Helps: 2001 - 2006, Nathan Thompson: 2002, Terrence Wood: 2002, Bekah Carran: 2002 - 2006, Claire McClintock: 2003 - 2004, Iain Cheesman: 2003 - 2005, Lynda Cullen: 2004 - 2005, Nick Dewar: 2004 - 2005, Don Hunter: 2005 - 2006, Ana Terry: 2005 - 2007, Jay Hutchinson: 2005 - 2007, Anna Muirhead: 2006 - 2007, Emma Bugden: 2006 - 2008, Amy Jo Jory: 2006 - 2007, Emily Pauling: 2006 - 2008, Rachel Gillies: 2006 - 2008, Michael Morley: 2006 - 2008, Jenna Todd: 2007 - 2008, Sue Marshall: 2007 - 2009, Julia Davies: 2008 - 2009, D'Arcy Dalzell: 2008 - 2009, Peter Gorman: 2009, Maddie Grady: 2009, Joanne Campbell: 2008 - 2010, Max Oettli - 2011, Erika Wolf - 2011, Anya Sinclair: 2008 - 2011, Aroha Novak - 2011, Vanessa Gordon 2011 - 2012.
A Thousand Thanks to everyone here