Blue Oyster is pleased to announce a call for solo, duo, group and curated exhibition proposals for the first half of 2017. A proposal call for the remaining 6 months of the coming year will be announced early 2017.
We prioritise proposals that are speculative and display new, innovative, experimental and non-commercial art practices. Proposals are selected by the Director and Trust on the relevance, depth and quality of the project proposed regardless of career stage or education. The best proposals speak to an artist's practice and the artistic community as a whole and allow for the project to develop and challenge current perspectives relating to the wider world.
Blue Oyster aims to broaden an interest in contemporary art within the local and national community, and to provide a space for dialogue around contemporary art to develop. The Trust aims to present original work that responds and works in harmony with the Blue Oyster space, locale and history. To read and understand more about the Trust's mission and goals visit our About Page online.
Email your proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only emailed proposals in a single PDF with your name as the file name will be accepted. For more information on how to make a PDF, click here.
- Keep your proposal clear, succinct and specific as possible.
- Please refrain from submitting a proposal sent to another gallery or organisation. Proposals for exhibitions already exhibited will not be considered.
- As there are limited places available in the programme, we aren't able to accommodate all proposals submitted, but are happy to provide feedback on the applicant's request.
- All proposals must be submitted by the closing deadline. Any proposals submitted after this time will not be considered.
Further Information For Applicants:
- By the closing date you will receive an email confirming we have received your proposal. If you have not received this by 2 September, please email us.
- You will be notified regarding the success of your proposal by 1 October 2016.
- If your proposal is not selected for this first call, you will have the opportunity to update and resubmit for the second call in early 2017.
- If your proposal is successful you will be reimbursed with a modest fee to assist with production, materials and transport. Blue Oyster also assists with install, deinstall, promotion, equipment and tools. If you live outside of Dunedin, you will be required to organise your own airfares and accomodation as well as extra freight costs.
- Exhibitors are required to sign an artist agreement, set achievable goals and expectations for the project with the Director as well as complete a survey after the exhibition to assist the Blue Oyster in its continued support of artists and practitioners.
2017 Exhibition Programme
- Proposals open: 1 February 2017.
- Deadline: 28 February 2017.
- Applicants will be notified by 31 March.
Your Application Must Include:
- a 500 word written outline of your proposed project and how it fits into your current practice. Outlines that are self-aware, critical, well-researched and clearly written will be prioritised.
- 4-5 Examples of your previous work, written, photographic, audio and video documentation encouraged in links to websites.
- 1 page artist CV with bio that explains your professional background and experience.
- You are not required to send illustrated floor plans, please only use the floor plans and sketch up file to write and inform your proposal.